Prayer Companion

For more information about the Prayer Companion, prayer journal,

please scroll down to the bottom of the Page.

It Speaks To Me

  • Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of all Compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
  • Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4

Friday, March 9, 2007

Book review — "Get Out of That Pit" By Beth Moore

I will say up front, I am a fellow dweller of pits! I won’t say, “former dweller”, because just when I am freed from one pit, God shows me more work that needs to be done & where more freedom is needed. I move forward day by day, by God’s grace alone. (As you know, if you have read my blog!) Okay, now that that’s out of the way — about the book…

The thing I appreciated most about Get Out of That Pit, was Beth’s honesty. It gives me hope knowing what God has done in Beth’s life. She was a pit dweller, and now God is using her to teach and encourage hundreds of thousands of women all over the world. Beth is a living breathing example of God’s grace, his power, his plan, and his faithfulness! Beth shows us that God not only delivers us, but will use our pain and suffering for His glory in unbelievable ways! God does'nt just deliver us, he refines us into pure gold and uses us to change the world! That’s a lot to hope for!

The second thing I appreciate about Get Out of That Pit, is the foundational teaching . . .call on Jesus, immerse yourself in the Word, & pray Scripture. This is the answer to every question, the solution to every problem! Beth makes it clear that more human will power is not what’s needed, Jesus’ power is what is needed.

The third thing I appreciated was the “freedom from Pit" Scripture. Beth leads us to God’s Word and shows us examples of pit dwellers, their deliverance, God’s promises of freedom, and examples of God’s faithfulness.
My favorite “pit” scripture is Psalms 103:2-5

Praise the Lord oh my soul, and forget not his benefits—Who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, Who satisfies your desires with good things so your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

My prayer for all of us today is that we would never forget all the Lord's benefits and that He would surround us with songs of deliverance(Psalm 32:7)!

Back to the Book Club

13 comments:

Corinne said...

Great post! You really summed up the heart of the book. It's nice to meet you; you have a beautiful site.

The Open Range Camping Family said...

I love your post and book review. I read through your blog and love your other posts....thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honest sharing. You are truly on a wonderful journey. You will discover more and more how dark and dingy that pit really was, and how wonderful it is out in the light. Though the pits seem never-ending, they will become much less powerful. You are on the road to freedom.

Mary Craig said...

Oh, you put everything so eloquently! I wish I could convey my thoughts as beautifully as you.

justjuls said...

Amen to that prayer!
Jesus is the answer to every problem, He is the road map when we've lost our way, and He is the hand reaching into the pit to pull us out!

Justice Fergie said...

thank you for the prayer!

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

I tell you what...that Beth can pray Scripture like noone's business, can't she?

Andrea said...

I had that scripture underlined too. I LOVED all her scriptural references. Good, good stuff! :)

Deena Peterson said...

Amen to that prayer...and isn't it true...we go from one pit to the next??
I was patting myself on the back for allowing God to pull me out of my current pit, and slipped and fell into another one...can't see with my nose in the air!!

Robin said...

I agree with you about Beth's foundation always being saturated with God's word. If I could just do that and keep doing it...

Susie said...

Great job on the book review. I loved the book and the way Beth seemed to understand what we all go through. I love what you said in point 2 that what we need is Jesus' power not more human power. Amen, if only we could remember that!

boomama said...

I love Beth's honesty in this book, too - no pretense, no attempt to gloss over the hard stuff.

And thanks for the reminder of Psalm 32:7 - such an encouragement to read that this morning!

Thanks for doing this book club thing-y with us!

TaunaLen said...

Hello,
Just stopping by to 'discuss' the book club book. I enjoyed reading your notes. Here's to heading up and out, hanging on to God's robe!

~TaunaLen