Prayer Companion

For more information about the Prayer Companion, prayer journal,

please scroll down to the bottom of the Page.

It Speaks To Me

  • Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of all Compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
  • Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Merely Canvas and Paint

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time, casting all your cares upon him, for he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7

What is humble? Does God want us to think little of ourselves? What does it mean when the Bible tells us to “humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God”?

I’m visual, I understand and remember when I see things, so picture with me a painting, a beautiful painting, it’s breathtaking and moving, it inspires us to tears.

If the canvas and paint could speak would it say, look what I have done…

Was it the paint and canvas that brought joy and inspiration, or was it the painter who formed the paint into a meaningful picture? Paint and canvas have no meaning at all until they are formed into a painting. The paint and canvas merely served to show the painters vision, it merely reflects the painter’s thoughts, heart and mind.

We are canvas and paint, and our design reflects our Creator. We are the medium in which the Creator shows his glory! As canvas and paint, should we say, “look what I have done”, or should we say, “look what the creator has done”? We are beautiful works of art . . . moving, inspiring and joy giving. Our Creator is a master painter and we are his masterpieces.

So as I see it, being humble is not thinking less of ourselves, but thinking of ourselves as God’s creation, keeping in mind we have done nothing apart from God. It is saying to God, you are the master painter and I am the canvas and paint, everything I am, is by your hand. I have meaning, because you give me meaning. I have purpose, because you give me purpose. All I am, and all I do, is to your glory and praise. Humble is knowing I am merely canvas and paint.

For from Him[God] and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Romans 11:36


Lord God, I humbled myself under your mighty hand, I know all that is, is by your hand. Use this paint, and canvas for your glory, exalt me in your due time, I cast all my cares upon you, for I know you care for me.

No comments: